1. I-55. this four lane interstate and I had an 18 hour love affair. (Of course spent a little more time on the North side than South)
2. N. Sheridan Road Detour. this is a complete lie. It will bring you back to where you started. So, if you want to be where you are again in the next 10 minutes but feel anxious just sitting there take this route
3. my new sleeping bag. it conveniently advertises itself with details about itself. that is standard, but it also wanted to help me know more with this Recommended Capacity: one person.
Ok so Friday I got up early and drove from Memphis to St. Louis and then milled around my new apartment for bit and then got back in the car to head to NORTHWESTERN. Soph and I got into town and I saw the bright lights of Chicago for the first time. Very cool to have the water so close. I saw some dudes playing basketball and then bikers who were flying next to some sea gulls. So then we got close to campus and came across the aforementioned N. Sheridan Road Detour. After several phone calls, a gas station stop for some direction advice, and the help of an iphone, we got there. But at the cost of our sanity. We were a little slap happy (to the point of tears) After a parking escapade, we began the awesome. I opened up my sleeping bag and followed the recommended capacity and had a fitful night of sleep because I was so excited. I awoke and soon realized that I forgot the pack clothes. What is that you say? That is the main thing that people pack when they go anywhere, LIKE THE BASICS OF PACKING!!! Well it looks like I need to enroll in Packing 101 again. There was a mini fashion show as some of my fellow sleepover buddies offered some of the dresses they brought. THANK GOODNESS THEY KNEW WHAT THEY WERE DOING. Dressed very un-Katherine like I had a little morning coffee and after lots of milling about we headed to the lake!!
Then some lady came out on stage and sang some words and played some instruments. Who was it? Oh, well nothing really epic except REGINA SPEKTOR!!!! I was so mesmerized. She sounds even better live than she does on any CD/myspace/record/cassette tape/mp3 player/seashell. She played so many of her songs that I love like Fidelity, Eet, Folding Chair, That Time, Blue Lips, Us. She is so adorable it hurts. At one point, she was singing, playing piano, and playing the drums. INCREDIBLE concert. It was in sun listening to a beautiful voice. Afterwards, we hit up Chipotle and had burritos! A little more milling and beach time. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that there is a beach because of the huge lake. I played in the sand and water (avoided most attempts at being pushed into the water). The beach also offered two more things 1. buried boy 2. swarm of flies that would pick a head and circle it exclusively 3. sand wrestling?
Then it was time for Nelly, who was not as stellar as Regina (but who could be?) Some girls took his songs a little too literally and I saw some football players dance in the most strange way. Then it was nap time and then finally, finally bed time. A great night of sleep. On our way out of town, we hit up this breakfast place called Le Peep and it was delicious. We had blueberry pancakes and a pepper/onion/cheese omelet. Yes and yes. Overall, a great great weekend.
this is awesome. we are going to re-create the magic in visiting henry there this summer, right?
ReplyDeleteNo clothes danimarca, really? Hopefully I am more successful on my packing for home!